Didn’t mean to start this blog off on a negative note but I read this today from California and it just hit a nerve with me.
“Two teenage parents face child abuse charges today for failing to seek medical help for their 2-month-old baby, who was burned by scalding water when they tried to bathe her at a home near San Jacinto, CA.
The baby was left under a faucet briefly, and seriously burned as the water became hot, according to the Riverside County sheriff’s office. As the water became burning hot, the baby began to scream.”
The article isn’t clear but it seems that the parents left the child unattended for something like this to happen…. I think we all know better than to start up a hot faucet and walk away with a 2 month old baby.
In fact, every day, 300 young children with burn injuries are taken to emergency rooms. They haven’t even been near a flame. The children are victims of scalds.
Scald burns (caused by hot liquids, steam or foods) are the most common burn injury among children age 4 and younger. In 2003, U.S. hospitals treated an estimated 16,000 children under 5 for scalds, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. And, mortality rates from scalds are highest for children under age 4.
While the injuries and the numbers are distressing, even more disturbing is the fact that many of these burns could have been prevented. It’s time for parents to realize that this happens much more often than people think.
Here’s 7 things you can do to prevent your baby from getting burned by liquid:
- Is your water heater set at 120 degrees? If you don’t know check it and get the temperature set right….
- Install anti-scald devices which will stop or interrupt the flow of
water when the temperature reaches a certain level.
- Test the water with your wrist or elbow before you place a child
in the bathtub.
- Face children away from tub faucets so they cannot grab or turn
- Do not place hot liquids or food within a child’s reach.
- Do not hold small children while drinking hot beverages or while
- Make sure children are a safe distance away from a microwave or
stove when removing food or liquid from these appliances.
Do you know of anyone that has every accidentally burned their child? I know of 2. One had a hot iron fall on the child and the other had their daughter accidentally pull a soup pan off the oven…… Both were very damaging injuries….